Church Windows

PRODIGAL SON WINDOW

The large window over the altar, with its representation of the Return of the Prodigal Son, was installed in 1897. It was given by Ann Van Bokkelen, daughter of H.J.J. Bokkelen, who in the early sixties was one of the most active in the establishment of St. Paul’s Church. The window was given in memory of her brother, John A. Van Bokkelen, who lost his life in the tragic bridge disaster of 1896 in Victoria, British Columbia, which took so many lives. It is regarded by experts as one of the finest examples of this type of painted glass to be found in the Pacific Northwest.

In order to make a place for the window, the chancel had to be rebuilt and a new altar constructed, as the original altar was too high. The symbolic ornaments were removed from the original altar and placed in the newly constructed one; the original altar, which is said to have come from England and to have been built of mahogany, was afterwards taken out and burned in accordance with church practices concerning discarded objects which have been consecrated.

STAINED SIDE WINDOWS

The other windows were designed by Mr. Richard Dixon of the Port Townsend Art Glass Company using colors and designs adapted from the “Prodigal  Son” window. They were made and installed during the winter and spring of 1971-1972.

The symbols in the windows represent, beginning to the right of the entrance proceeding down the right side of the Nave toward the choir:

  • The Holy Spirit
  • St. Mark
  • St. John
  • St. Peter

And beginning to the left of the entrance and proceeding down the left side of the entrance and proceeding down the left side of the Nave toward the choir:

  • The Holy Communion
  • St. Matthew
  • St. Luke
  • St. Paul (just behind the pulpit)

The small window in the gable over the Choir represents the Holy Trinity in its trefoil shape and its fleur-de-lys theme.

MARBLE MEMORIALS

An interesting reminder of earlier days are the marble memorial slabs on either side of the chancel, for members of the family of Captain Adolph Bergman, who was a well known ship master in the Sound country. When en route from Puget Sound to San Pedro in 1883, aboard the sailing vessel Wenona, they encountered heavy weather about twenty-five miles south of Cape Flattery. A sudden squall struck her and thew her upon her beam ends, Her masts were cut away and the vessel righted. A tremendous sea then swept over the craft and Allie Bergman, the six-year old son of the captain was washed overboard. Although the father jumped after him, the boy was lost in the turbulent waters. Later Mrs. Bergman was found dead in the cabin.

After the death of Mrs. Bergman, some years later Captain Bergman married Miss Bessie Biles. This lady, while accompanying her husband on a voyage to South Africa, died suddenly while the ship was discharging cargo in Delagoa Bay, and lies buried in that remote part of the world.